This article shows how to use Cypher to protect your seed phrase. It covers the following topics:
- What is SafePal Cypher for?
- Unboxing SafePal Cypher
- Important tips before using Cypher
- How to use SafePal Cypher
What is SafePal Cypher for?
SafePal Cypher is a metallic board to keep your mnemonic phrase (also called seed phrase) secure from salt, fire, wallet, and corrosion. It consists of two separate stainless steel plates that can accommodate up to 24 seed words. Following is the unboxing picture of a SafePal Cypher. In the Cypher gift box, you can find:
- Cypher X1
- Letter plates X4
- Screwdrivers X2
- SafePal Stickers X1
- Anti-faking stickers X2
- User manual X1
Important tips before using Cypher
Although SafePal Cypher can protect your mnemonic phrase against fire, water, and corrosion, once someone gets hold of your Cypher, they can practically take full control of your assets. Therefore, don't forget to keep your Cypher and its remaining letters in secure locations.
How to set up SafePal Cypher
The following video shows how to set up your Cypher step by step:
1. There are only four slots for each word. Why is that?
The SafePal Cypher is based on the BIP39 Mnemonic Phrase Standard that is used to generate the mnemonic keys. It is a specific list of 2048 English words (check the list here) that has been carefully curated so that each of the 2048 mnemonic words can be identified by its first four letters. That’s why the SafePal Cypher has only four-letter slots.
If a seed word has only three letters, use the back of an unused letter tile to fill in the fourth space.
2. How do I know the complete word based on the first four letters？
You can view and search for it from the complete BIP39/44 seed words from this link:
3. What should I do if the letters provided are not enough?
The number of letter tiles provided by the SafePal Cypher is calculated based on the odds that each letter will appear in the mnemonic list. There is only a rare possibility that the letters are not enough. If you do find the letters not enough for the setup, you can solve it by the following methods:
- The character blocks "b" and "q", "d" and "p", "n" and "u" can be used interchangeably. Interchange these letters and see if the problem is resolved.
- Use the blank side of a letter tile instead.
- Generate a new set of mnemonics and assemble again
4. What hot can a SafePal Cypher withstand?
SafePal Cypher is made of 304 stainless steel. The material is resistant to temperature up to 1400-1450°C, which is much higher than the temperature of a house fire.