This week SafePal has received several reports from users about the SafePal App malfunction after the operating system upgrades on Redmi Note 8 Pro, Redmi Note 4, and Samsung C7. The report showed that after the cell phone OS update on the two devices, users cannot open the SafePal App, and the App is stuck at the opening logo page.
After receiving the reports, the SafePal technical team has attached high importance to this issue, and the technical team has taken in-depth investigations immediately. And following are our findings.
- This error was only reported on Redmi Note 8 Pro, Redmi Note 4, and Samsung C7.
- Based on our findings, the issue of App malfunction is caused by the OS update wiping some critical App data related to Keystore, which caused the failure to boost and display the wallet account.
- If you are experiencing this problem, please re-install the SafePal App and recover the wallet on the App to access the funds. If you haven't back up the mnemonic phrase, this error will lead to permanent asset loss.
The SafePal App has utilized the Android security KeyStore system to encrypt important wallet data. After the recent OS update, the private key information within the KeyStore system was erased, causing the App failure to decode the wallet data and the eventual malfunction. This situation was only reported and reproduced on Redmi Note 8 Pro, Redmi Note 4, and Samsung C7. Other developers have also reported the same error on Github (Read more from this article and here).
For those who are experiencing this problem, please re-install the SafePal App and recover the wallet on the App to access the funds. If you did not back up the mnemonic phrase, we are deeply sorry that there is limited help we can provide here. We have reported this problem to the MIUI community and the Samsung developer center. If there is any update from Redmi and Samsung, we will surely post the update in this article.
Important Security Tips:
- Before you upgrade the cell phone operating system, there will usually be an alert message on the cell phone warning users of the potential risks of data loss from the upgrade and reminding the users to back up important cell phone data in time. If you are using a decentralized cryptocurrency App like SafePal, don’t forget to back up the mnemonic phrase and Passphrase (if you set any) in time
- Whenever you create a new wallet in the SafePal App, don’t forget to back up the mnemonic phrase in the first place to avoid any incident causing asset loss.